By Rachelle Bowden in News on May 19, 2006 1:52AM
- Butch McGuire, who founded one of America's first singles bars and named it after himself, has passed away.
- More hazing suspensions at Northwestern. This time it's the men's swim team and students who perform as the school's mascot who are in trouble.
- Sam's Wine has to pay $300k in an extortion claim.
- A stretch along Wacker on the river will be opening next month. It's getting fancied up with $800,000 worth of pavement, fencing, railing, benches and garbage and reycling bins. This is part of Daley's plan to make a "second lakefront" by creating a riverwalk all along the Chicago River.
- Looks like Macy's is trying to bribe us with parties.
- Chicago's biggest gyro meat maker, Kronos, has taken over the nation's top baklava maker, Rain Creek Baking Co.
- The Lyric Opera closed the season with about a $140k surplus.
- Oprah's musical snagged 11 Tony nominations.
- This weekend: Check out the Chicago Metro History Fair or if that's not your thing, it's opening weekend for this summer's drunkfests.
"Broken Fixture" via paul goyette